Older adults often face reluctance while debating whether or not they want to move into a retirement community. It is always a challenge to move away from the home where you have raised your children and compiled countless memories.
It is essential for older adults to choose the community that is going to be the most beneficial for them. In order to make a smooth transition into a new community, there are many factors to consider. Here are some suggested steps for a successful transition:
- Assemble a list of the qualities you are looking for in your ideal independent living community. For example:
- What volunteer opportunities are available?
- Will I be able to participate in an afternoon of games at the local senior center?
- Will I be able to take visits/field trips to my favorite shops and restaurants?
- Take into consideration housing options, different exercise opportunities, proximity to children and grandchildren, transportation, and availability of healthcare resources-things that are going to satisfy the needs of your well-being.
- To be sure that the requirements for your ideal independent living community are going to be met, conduct some research before visiting Siena. Look on Siena’s website and talk to community members. It is also important to understand the economic outlook of the community.
- Get to know the staff; these are the people dedicating their time to making sure your needs are met!
- Look for ways in which you can get involved in Siena’s community. It is probable that you share similar interests with a lot of the community members. Thus, you will always have someone to accompany you when participating in activities.
- Prepare of list of questions for our Community Relations Director prior to your first visit to Siena on Brendenwood. We are happy to answer any and all questions you may have through your process!
Although this is a big transition, it is important to keep a positive attitude during the process. The staff members of Siena are here to help ease the hassle of moving by assuring you this is the best place for an older, retiree to attain an active and fun lifestyle. Take into consideration all of the factors that make for an ideal lifestyle during retirement. It is important to remember that Siena is a community. Give us a call to schedule your visit or click the link HERE!